Mission and Vision Statement
HCT USA understands that in a rapidly globalizing world a life-threatening health pandemic such as HIV/AIDS has no borders and can easily spread from one continent to another; and understands that root causes of vulnerability and marginalization are similar throughout the world, and connects people in both USA and South Africa. It also understands the danger of resistance to HIV/AIDS as well as related conditions such as tuberculosis, as experienced in southern Africa.
As a result, HCT USA believes there is tremendous value in linking with Hope Cape Town in South Africa as well as other national and international civil society organizations to learn and exchange best practice, expertise and create synergies in HIV/AIDS prevention and treatment among marginalized segments of populations.
Also, HCT USA recognizes that behavior change reducing risk of exposure to HIV/AIDS is in great part a result of change in social norms in which education plays a large role. Focusing on changing social norms and education will reduce the effects of misinformation and stigma and help create a more accepting environment, and result in an increase demand and supply for, as well as access to and use of available treatment among the most vulnerable and marginalized.
Strategic Planning Meeting, 15 May 2015, Tygerberg Campus, University Stellenbosch
Board Meeting 2016, Dallas, USA
Board Meeting, 2017, New York City, USA
HOPE Cape Town USA strives to improve the quality of life of vulnerable and marginalized children, youth and families affected by HIV/AIDS, and related illnesses, and help them to reach their own full potential.
HOPE Cape Town USA’s (HCT USA) mission is to assist people living with HIV, AIDS and related illnesses in the USA and South Africa. HCT USA’s aim is to support the ongoing work of HOPE Cape Town in South Africa, reduce the spread of HIV among vulnerable and marginalized children and youth in USA and support those living with HIV.
This mission is realized by the following means:
- Advocate, fundraise and support HOPE Cape Town programs in South Africa.
- Build a body of data to understand needs, challenges and interconnections of children, youth and families living with HIV, AIDS or related illnesses in South Africa and USA.
- support vulnerable and marginalized children, youth and families in the USA, beginning in the Dallas/Fort Worth (TX) area.
- Collaborate with other NGO’s in the fields to create synergies and expertise and interconnect globally with the aim to learn, share and optimize programs.
- Disseminate correct information, reduce misconceptions about the pandemic and so eliminate discrimination and create access to appropriate info on the syndrome, prevention and treatment options.
- Change behavior to reduce risk of exposure to HIV/AIDS by focusing on changing social norms and education, and reduce the effects of misinformation and stigma and help create a more accepting environment.
- Increase demand and supply for, as well as access to and use of available treatment among the most vulnerable and marginalized.